Tears In A Bottle
I’ve always treasured the Bible verse about God collecting our tears in a bottle, but it never meant as much to me as when I lost my first baby boy to miscarriage in 1978. That long ago but still remembered night, I held my son—perfectly formed at 14 weeks—in the palm of my hand and my husband and I baptized him with our tears.
In the days afterward, as I lay in bed recovering, I wrote down my thoughts about all the things God counts, including the drops that fall from our eyes. Doug set the poem to music, and he’s even sung it at a couple of funerals, but today, I’m offering the words to you, as a small comfort over your own lost loves.
God has given them a number:
The leaves upon the trees,
The hairs upon our heads,
The grains of sand around the seas….
God has counted each of these:
The little birds that fall,
The lilies as they bloom,
The blades of grass as they grow tall…
But most of all, I think He counts
The tears His children shed,
The heartaches and the sorrows,
Until to His throne we’re led…
There He’ll give us each a crown,
Each tear will be a gem,
The bottles will be emptied,
And we’ll never cry again.
Posted by Katy
on 10/02/11 at 11:17 AM
- How fun to see these pics of you! I also enjoy seeing the pics of you and Doug on the Agape page/FB ~~ you're such a doll.
And yes, I love Our Tears; He knows our thoughts before we speak and, our tears before they fall. Love you!!
Posted by Leslie Lindholm on 10/02/11 at 04:15 PM
I'm sorry to hear about your lost son. While I can't claim to know exactly how it felt for you and your husband, I can say that my wife and I lost what would have been our second daughter last June (2010), at 6.5 months, and it was really devastating.
This poem is wonderful, and I'm curious to know how it sounds when put to music. Is it available online anywhere (youTube, etc?), or would you or your husband be willing to record and send it (or a sample of it)?
Anyway, this evening as I'm having my hot chocolate (albeit not in the dice mug this time [but I still have it]) I was thinking about you and hoping you and your loved ones are well, and continue to be. My family and I have been blessed to be doing as well as we have been.
Posted by Adam, from Ohio (and sometimes Chicago) with the m on 11/04/11 at 09:34 PM
- Leslie, You are such a dear friend. Love to you!!
Posted by Katy on 11/25/11 at 08:01 AM
- Adam, I have just now sent you a link to the recording. I hope the email I have is correct!! If you see this message and did not receive the file, please email me. Blessings to you and your family!
Posted by Katy on 11/25/11 at 08:02 AM
I got the song. Thank you. Hopefully you have received the email reply I sent you.
Posted by Adam on 12/01/11 at 08:49 AM
- How precious the tears of God's children are to Him.
Thanks so much for sharing this. It is a beautiful testimony of God's love.
Posted by CBM on 02/13/12 at 07:26 PM
- Katy, so sorry for the loss of your baby boy. We've lost two grandbabies (miscarriage) these past few months...I should really share this post with my daughter-in-law. How sweet that Doug set your poem to music! Thanks for this.
Posted by Vicki on 03/12/12 at 08:38 AM
Page 1 of 1 pages
Commenting is not available in this weblog entry.
<< Back to main